Sunday, January 9, 2011

WELCOME TO NOWHERE WEEK 1

This book started out pretty tough. I wanted to lead in with a communication from the space station it takes place on and an incoming ship. It could introduce the reader to the time and place and get things started. Simple? No. It took me two days to do three freakin paragraphs! Write, scrub, rewrite, scrub, like that part, hate that part, rewrite, etc. It sounded so good in my head but it just didn't transfer to the page very well. I finally got it in to an acceptable shape but I think it's a safe bet that it'll be changed.
After that it started to go a lot smoother. I was able to introduce a lot of characters and get some important info off really fast but when I went back and read it I thought the characters weren't enough to hook the reader. I spent a few days working on a hook then realized, because of the limited canvas, I was going to have to kill one of them off. I spent a whole month working on characters and story and the very first scene on the first page of the first chapter I was going to have to kill one of them. I went through them all carefully and decided which one was going to have to die. I decided since the character was only going to get one scene it was going to be a memorable one so I wrote him way over the top. He's a totally unlikeable character but he got one good scene before he went.

No comments:

Post a Comment