Sunday, January 16, 2011

WELCOME TO NOWHERE WEEK 2

Had a weird week writing. I've done lots of things and introduced a good chunk of the characters and then went back and realized it was really bad. I had concentrated solely on the characters and there was really no sense of time and place on them. I had done nothing to give the read any kind of idea of the environment and they were all just thrown together. I knew I was in trouble. I ended up spending the last three days of the week completely rewriting everything I'd done in the two weeks, but it was worth it. I wrote descriptions of all of the places that the character scenes I had written for a start. Then I rearranged them. I still started with the death of a character. Luckily, that took place near the aft of the station so I rearranged the other scenes leading from back to front. I also changed the time so that everything takes place in the twenty minutes while they are waiting for a ship to dock. It really ended up much better than what I started with.
I also decided that this station needed to have a certain terminology. I know there are certain phrases we use at work that no one else would catch, as I'm sure every place does. I thought of military terminology and decided to use submarine terms. That will also help remind the reader of being in an enclosed space.
Hopefully, the writing this week will be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment