Monday, January 31, 2011

DARKNESS

I submitted the story Darkness to an anthology a few weeks ago. Last week I got an email from the editor saying he thought there was a lot of potential in the story but, as is, it wasn't something they could use. He suggested it might work better in first person narrative form. That type of answer in itself was pretty rare. The other rejects I've received were short and to the point so I looked into a possible rewrite. I wasn't sure about it at first. I've never been really comfortable in that form and don't have a lot of experience in it.
I reread the story with that in mind and was relieved to find out that the story could be changed to first person without losing anything. As it turned out there was only one scene that a character named Fletcher wasn't in but it wouldn't be impossible to believe that he was just outside the door and caught the conversation. It was an important character set up for Trevor and Jason and I didn't want to lose it.
It made the whole story run a lot smoother and it ended up being a few hundred words shorter. I resubmitted it and hope it gets accepted,

No comments:

Post a Comment