Sunday, July 24, 2011

NOVEMBER GIRL WEEK 4

Didn't get much done this week. The heat just sucks the life out of me at work and it's even difficult to think creatively.
I've been looking back and thinking about how most of the characters I write are women. Doctor Who: Shadows of the Past was about a female character and the main character in the Starpoint series is a woman. The only book I've written in the past six years that didn't have a female main character was Welcome to Nowhere. The main characters in the short stories I've written are male but that's about it.
Part of it, I think, is that it's more of a challenge writing a female character in the lead. It's more fun to poke around in their personality and find things I didn't expect. It just happens more often with female characters. The male in Welcome to Nowhere never did really surprise me or take on a life of his won. He's an interesting character, I put a lot of heart into him, but he never once did anything unpredictable. Gallif, in Starpoint Mountain, was surprising me all the way to the end. November has already made a couple of decisions I didn't expect. That's why I like her so much.
Part of me says I really shouldn't think about it to much. The reason might either disturb me or take all of the fun out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment