Saturday, July 16, 2011

NOVEMBER GIRL WEEK 3

It was a really good week writing. Got lots of work done and have started to expand the world where the story takes place. It feels really good.
I have to admit that Robert Heinlein is a big influence on this book. I've been reading his stuff constantly and it is so amazing it's really opened my eyes to story telling. For the most part I will sit down and write tons and tons of back story for my books. On Shadows of the Past I did a time line of what happens on Earth from the year 2000 to the year 2060 when it takes place. I knew everything there was to know about that character. The same with Starpoint Mountain and I wrote pages and pages of character details about the characters in Welcome to Nowhere including their parents, siblings, birth dates, schools, etc.
When I read the Heinlein stuff I get the feeling he doesn't do that. He doesn't explain what has happened to the world in his stories. They are there and you have to accept them as they are. A lot of the times it'll just be character scenes but they are so amazingly interesting I can't put them down. Sometimes it's hard to remember what the plot was supposed to be as well. It's a unique way of writing and I only hope this is a fitting tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment