Sunday, June 20, 2010

GALLIF OF STARPOINT MOUNTAIN WEEK 1

I'd finished working on the short stories last week. Originally I didn't want to start this book for a while because I thought it might be confusing doing the 2nd draft of one book while working on the first of another. There were times when I was trying to do the 1st and 2nd draft of The Shadows of Starpoint Mountain at the same time and it was getting mixed up. Sometimes I'd be typing a scene into the computer that had the same characters and location as characters I had written by hand the same day. It was getting hard because I would think of a new idea but couldn't remember if it really was new or something I remembered having done the previous week.
I thought about it a lot but I don't think it will be a problem. The third book and the fourth are very different in location and characters. The third book dealt with the Others in the swamps and was almost entirely located there but the fourth book has a few scenes that take place there but they are completely different in tone and characters. It also spends more time with Gallif back in the foreground and those scenes that are tired to the earlier books she doesn't appear in.
So I sat down and looked over the notes that I had written down as to where the fourth book goes, rewrote them a bit and figured out some of the details, then started writing. I started with the introduction of a new character, did two pages, then realized it was pretty senseless and completely started over. Originally the character was going to be a silly comic character just in there for a laugh at the start. He turned much more serious and will now be in the book for a significant part.
Funny how that works some times.

No comments:

Post a Comment