Tuesday, February 23, 2016

RECONSTRUCTING GOOD KIDS

I've realized that my favorite part of film making is editing.  I love that point of putting the story together so much that a few months ago I got Adobe Premiere Pro so I could work at home instead of having to go to Iowa City.  This has made things easier and it's given me the chance to work on things I normally wouldn't get to do.
After I finished the "More Than A Performance" documentary I was cleaning files and got rid off all the interviews and excess footage but kept all the footage I got during rehearsals and the one performance I was allowed to shoot clips from.  To get used to the new program I just started editing one of the scenes and thought it turned out pretty good.  So good I did another scene, then another, then another.  I've finished it and have the entire play now.  Every word of it.
I'll admit it's not perfect.  Some times the actor speaking is off camera, the darker moments are grainy and sound can be kind of wonky as the actors were facing away from the mic.  Still, considering it was three different cameras, three mics, three performance and three audiences it's at least 90% good.  There are great moments that are crystal clear and have just as much of the power and emotion as the live performance.
I've watched it several times in the past week and it's really impressive.  To make it a complete, watchable piece I even added opening and closing credits including actors, designers, stage managers, author and director.
I can show a small clip.  I had to put this on youtube because that way I can keep it private so only the link from here will get you there.  Youtube quality isn't as good as Vimeo but you'll get the idea of what the final product looks like.

Introducing the Mustangs

The challenge now is finding something to do with it.  It's a bit complicated because, right now, there are three owners of the piece.  Naomi Iizuka owns the script, UI Theatre owns the production, and I own the film version.  What can I do?
I contacted the director of the play and UI Theatre to see what he thinks and he's very excited about it.  He wants to see it and then will check with Naomi and see what they can come up with.  I'm hoping I can at least make it available o the actors.  
Deep down inside I hope there is some way we can get this seen.  Personally and professionally I think this is a very important play.  To important to be forgotten.  I also think having it seen would be a big win for everyone involved.  I keep asking myself what the downside of having this shown be?  So far nothing has come to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment