Sunday, December 25, 2011

NOVEMBER GIRL ENDING WEEK 22-23

I'm a bit shocked realizing that I've been working on this for 23 weeks. It's quite a chunk of a year and there's lots of ideas that I'm really excited about but I'm going to stop writing on it. I can't concentrate on doing the first draft of this and the second draft of Ghosts of Starpoint Mountain at the same time. It's taken me longer to rewrite the second draft of Ghosts than it did to write the first drafts of Ghosts, the fourth book, and 23 short stories. I'm think the only way I can get things moving is working on one at a time and that's going to be Ghosts. I finished a chapter with a very good plot point and decided to just stop there.
It occurred to me that, even though I'm finishing the book, I don't have to give up on the character and ideas. I've been looking at ideas for the next video to do. I want something I could do in anywhere in Iowa City that isn't a costume drama. I've been working on one called Line Zero, a mystery/sci-fi video. I started thinking that doing a video version of November Girl is a possibility, too. They both have the advantages of the slightly real world setting which would make them easier to shoot. November Girl also appeals to me as it could be done with a smaller cast. Being a mystery I would need a lot more people to make Line Zero work right. It's also a different focus than doing the book and I won't have to sacrifice one for the other.
I wrote the opening scene to a November Girl video tonight.

FADE IN:

(EXT-SPACE ABOVE THE PLANET EARTH)

We are floating in space above earth. Beneath us we can clearly see the North American continent. The sun is just going down over the western horizon. All is silent and peaceful for a while then there 25 bright flashes across the face of the continent. They are burning nuclear explosions lighting up the night at strategic points across the United States.

FADE TO BLACK

Caption: “Two months later…”

No comments:

Post a Comment