Sunday, March 7, 2010

BOOK 3 WEEK 9

This, I'm pretty sure, was the best weeks writing I've had ever. I wrote 28 pages, finished the second act of the book, and started in on the third and final act. I picked four pages at random and averaged them out to 412.5 words per page. It comes out to 11,550 words. It included a fight scene that was so intense I could feel my heart rate pounding when I finished.

I'm really proud of the way these characters are working. Sometimes I almost forget it's giants and dwarves talking and have to remind myself to add the fantasy elements back into the story. Those are the things I'm really proud of.

This one will, however, also have the biggest battle I've ever written in it in the the third act. It's going to be complicated to write and I imagine it'll take longer to manage that than anything else. When writing combat scenes, whenever possible, I try to tell the whole thing from one person's point of view. I think that works best to keep the battle on a personal level and that way the reader won't get lost in the action. It's not at all unusual to have someone, at some point, take a quick glance to see how their friends are doing so no one gets forfotten in the action.


No comments:

Post a Comment