Saturday, February 26, 2011

WELCOME TO NOWHERE WEEK 8

I had a bit of a shock when I was writing this week. I realized that I've gone a long way in introducing characters and situations but I've never really had any conflict amongst them. Despite the fact that it's clear some of them don't like each other they've all been pretty civil. In other stuff I've written I've worked hard to create tension and drama in the characters but for some reason it wasn't happening here. The problem is I couldn't suddenly make them go at each other just for the sake of it. i also had to remember that conflict does not necessarily mean violence. Took me a few days to finally come up with a reason and had to go back and do some work on a character to make it not such a stretch.
Never be afraid to hurt your characters. Don't be afraid to really piss them off, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment