Sunday, December 19, 2010

WELCOME TO NOWHERE BACKSTORY

Spent most of this week putting the characters together. When I originally designed the space station and crew I had 32 characters, but after a while I thought that was just to many for the size of the station and the time frame, 2050-2075, so I cut 9 of them and was down to 23.
This week I did character backgrounds for all 23 giving them all a birth date, family, where they grew up, went to college and why they joined the space service. Also gave most of them some dark secret that they don't want anyone to know.
After that I started to detail their responsibilities on the station but found out the some of the originals posts either over lapped or were unnecessary. If I only had 23 crew members did I need to have two people in charge of planning their meals and exercise programs? No. So I ended up getting rid of 4 of the positions. I didn't immediately cut those characters designated to those positions. There were some of them that I particularly liked the way they turned out so I gave them other jobs. One I ended up switching from a male to a female character. I feel pretty sure that these 19 will stay.
At one point I started to think that nobody in their right mind would ever put these people together on a space station. One of them has been addicted to just about everything, another believes they are having conversations with god and a third has no plans to ever set foot on earth again. It'd be nuts to confine them together on their own. Then it occurred to me that, one, it is a government operation and, two, that is where the drama comes from.

CAPTAIN: John Farbrother

EXEC OFFICER: Brenda Olivo

TECH LEAD: Marilyn Kent

LIFE SCIENCES LEAD: Kevin Bailey

EXEC CREW:

SCHEDULER: Maria Gonsalves

COMMUNICATOR: Bonnie Greene

TECHNICAL CREW:

MECHANIC: Natoya Bengala

MECHANIC: Gary Good

MECHANIC: James Benjamin

ELECTRICIAN: Nicholas Picker

ELECTRICIAN: Thau Nguyan

LIFE SCIENCES CREW:

DOCTOR: Michael Dietrich

NURSE: Kelly Spaulding

AGRICULTURE: Clarence Nicklebody

AGRICULTURE: Jeremy Stark

AGRICULTURE: Tano Keeper

NUTRITION: Michael Thorpe

ENVIRONMENT: Jennifer Kaplan

ENVIRONMENT: Rachel Tanner


No comments:

Post a Comment