Saturday, November 13, 2010

GALLIF OF STARPOINT MOUNTAIN WEEK 22

Had another good week writing. Though I didn't turn out as many pages as last week I still covered lots of territory. I had some important combat scenes to deal with and it took a while to set up even though I didn't completely write them out. I worry that if I write the fight scenes out in detail the first round that, when I do the final draft, the action will get stale. What I do on the first draft, the, is write down just the important points and a few details. The stronger points about what happens to who, who gets wounded, who works well as partners, who fails, etc. In the first book I even went as far as to go through each combat scene and make sure I never used the same verbs twice in combat. I didn't do it in the second one and I think it kind of hurt the scenes in the long run. When I can I'll take time to go back and do that.
The other thing I did is decided which of the main characters in the books will die and how. I spent a lot of time working it out and chose carefully the fate of the characters. I want to make sure that there is some meaning and drama in their deaths. If I'm going to kill them off I want to make sure there is a reason or their deaths effect somebody in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment